“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.”- Seneca
With summer winding down and fall gearing up, I am excited to share with you the current lineup for Faith and Fellowship Groups, Adult Bible Studies, and Short-Term Studies available to adults at SGUMC this fall. I can’t help but think back upon the amazing opportunities for study, fellowship and service I’ve had at Shady Grove over the years. New opportunities mean an end to the known with shifting schedules, relationships and responsibilities. However, I am always energized by the possibilities of what is on the horizon. My prayer is you see something new to energize you as well.
Director of Adult Discipleship firstname.lastname@example.org
The classes and groups in this brochure are listed on Realm, our new church connectional software. Ready to get started with Realm? Send an email to email@example.com to request an invitation to get connected!LEARN MORE ABOUT REALM
Join us after 8:15 am or before 11:00 am worship services!
The Seekers will continue to meet in C-3 in the chapel building from 9:30-10:30 am. A new series, God’s World and God's People is underway. All are welcome. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
- The Contemporary Christians will resume meeting in C-4 in the Chapel Building from 9:30-10:30 am starting on Sunday, September 16. They will take a brief break and resume again on October 7. The theme of discussion this fall will be: Truth or Consequences in the Modern World. The class will explore contemporary issues today and explore what is being revealed and the consequences of our beliefs and actions by examining relevant scripture and how it directs us in seeking wisdom and discernment in our complex world. The class will not promote any political party or opinion, but will focus on what Jesus teaches us. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events..
- Short-Term Study of The Wesley Challenge by Chris Folmsbee will start on Sunday, September 9, from 9:30-10:30 am in education building room 201 with an Introductory and Information Session. The study will continue for the following Sundays in September: 16, 23, 30. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
- Sunday Evening Women’s Study will start a new study of The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown on Sunday, September 16, 2018. The group meets from 5:00-6:00 pm in chapel building C-3 during G-3, but is open to any and all women from our congregation and from the community! Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
- Fall Study of The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict from The Arbinger Institute will start on Sunday, October 7, 2018 from 5:30-6:30 pm with an Introductory and Information Session with the class co-facilitators Robin Everhart and Jeff Fender in Room 201 of the Education Building. The Study will continue for 5-6 weeks in the fall. From the authors of Leadership and Self-Deception comes an international bestseller that instills hope and inspires reconciliation. Through a moving story of parents who are struggling with their own children and with problems that have come to consume their lives, we learn from once-bitter enemies the way to transform personal, professional, and global conflicts, even when war is upon us. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
Come for Bistro dinner starting at 5:15 pm and stay for a group! New and returning classes resume on Wednesday, September 19, 2018.
- Short-Term Study of The Wesley Challenge by Chris Folmsbee will start on Wednesday, September 19, from 6:15-7:15 pm in the church office with an Introductory and Information Session. The Study will continue on September 26, and October 3 and 10. This will be the first in a series of “Second Chance Sunday School” opportunities. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
Short-Term Study of Defying Gravity by Tom Berlin will start on Wednesday, September 19, from 6:15-7:15 pm with an Introductory and Information Session with the class leader Glenn Cooper in room 201 of the education building. The study will continue on September 26, and October 3 and 10. In Defying Gravity, Tom Berlin illustrates how possessions can create an unbearable weight on our lives and affects our ability to serve and thrive. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
- Fall Study of Christian Caregiving—a Way of Life by Kenneth C. Haugk. This Stephen Ministries resource will help participants reach out to others with the compassion of Christ and show care in well-defined Christian ways. Course participants learn how to: listen carefully to another person; speak words of comfort, encouragement, forgiveness, and hope; pray with another person; share from the Bible naturally and comfortably during a caring conversation. This class will meet for several weeks from 6:15-7:15 pm in the library in the education building beginning September 19. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
Wednesday Connections Group will resume meeting in room 206 of the education building for fellowship and study, prayer and support from 6:15-7:15 pm. All are welcome at the table as they complete small group discussion of the previous Sunday’s sermon with the occasional short-term book study. Learn more and sign up in Realm Groups.
- Join The Rowdy Moms as they continue to laugh, learn, and love as Moms on a Mission. The group is exploring meeting as a large group of moms of all ages once a month and two small groups of moms (with young kids and with teens) the remaining weeks of the month. This group will meet from 6:15-7:15 pm in room 207 of the education building. Learn more and sign up in Realm Groups.
- Disciple Fast Track 1: Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study , 6:15-7:30 pm in room 202. Learn more and sign up in Realm Events for Disciple 1.
- Disciple Fast Track 2: Into the Word, Into the World , 6:15-7:30 pm in room 203 of the education building Both of these studies are adaptations of the original, best-selling Disciple Bible Study series, providing an option for in depth study of the entire biblical text for busy people with busy schedules. Fast Track groups meet for a total of 24 weeks; 12 weeks in the Old Testament and 12 weeks in the New Testament. Participants manage their Bible readings in the way that suits their schedule best in preparation for the weekly meetings. Disciple 1 (original or Fast Track) is a prerequisite for completing Disciple 2. All former Disciples welcome!! Learn more and sign up in Realm Events for Disciple 2.
Into the Fold - HANGing in Mission - A NEW Service and Devotions Group! Join Sara Fender (Founder and Executive Director of the Caring Clothes Closet) to HANG out, SORT it all out, and be welcomed into the FOLD with others while learning about the work of the Caring Clothes Closet and who they serve. Sara will lead you on a weekly devotional, Serving Those in Crisis. Explore what the Bible has to say about helping people in crisis while serving with others in a small setting. Come to the Clothes Closet on Wednesdays from 6:15-7:15 pm during Bistro season or Sundays, 6:00-7:00 pm while middle school kids are in youth group. If you are a high schooler, come get in some community service hours prior to High School Large Group! Learn more and sign up in Realm Events.
Men’s Bible Study
- The United Methodist Men Thursday morning devotions group meets from 6:45-7:30 am in the DOG House. Learn more and sign up with Realm Groups.
Women’s Bible Study
- Join Pastor Beanie Kelly and the gang as they fellowship together, show love and support or one another, and study God’s Word from 9:45-11:00 am in C-2 in the Chapel Building. Friday, September 21, the group will resume meeting to study
by Max Lucado. Learn more and sign up with Realm Events.
Monthly meetings you don’t want to miss!
United Methodist Men Monthly Dinner and Meeting First Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm in the fellowship hall. LEARN MORE
Betty Fairbanks Circle – Second Monday of the month at 1:00 pm in the education building. LEARN MORE
JOY@SGUMC - Just Older Youth at Shady Grove United Methodist Church - Third Wednesday of the month at 11:00 am in the fellowship hall. LEARN MORE
SGUMC’s Book Club - Third Thursdays of October and November 2018 and January and February of 2019 at 6:00 pm in the church library. LEARN MORE
Knitting and Crochet Ministry – Last Thursday of the month from 7:00-9:00 pm (meeting held offsite). LEARN MORE
Questions? Call the church office at 360-2600 or email Lauren Adkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.